Water, the essence of life
Did you know?
  • Hunger pangs are often signs of thirst.
  • Being dehydrated by as little as 1–2% can reduce your performance when exercising by 10–20%.
  • Dehydration can cause headaches, dizziness, lethargy, reduced concentration and impaired coordination.
  • More than two thirds of our body weight is water; and water is essential for every cell in your body to function.
  • Approximately 80% of your water intake comes from drinking water and other beverages, while the remaining 20% comes from the foods you eat – lettuce, watermelon and broccoli are made up of more than 90% water.

Are you hydrated enough?

The color of your urine can show you how hydrated you are. Aim to keep your urine the same color as the lighter squares. If the color matches the darker squares, you should drink more fluid.
Make sure you are drinking enough fluid – aim for at least 8 glasses a day.

Top tips:
  • Make sure you have a drink with every meal.
  • Keep a bottle or glass of water on your desk to sip throughout the day.
  • Carry a bottle of water with you when you are travelling to and from work.
  • Make sure you replenish your body’s fluids if you have been to the gym or you have been sweating a lot.